Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Finale! of the paper...phew!


Irene
            I saw our neighbors leaving, packing up their minivan; I didn’t think it seemed all that bad.  Our power only had just gone out and I was still painting my nails.  The color, power outage pink, I thought was quite fitting.  I had never experienced something of this magnitude, something that could potentially damage my home, my town, and my life.  I was worried although trying my best to not show it.  My dad went out to talk to them, wearing a poncho over his Carhartt pants, and thick rubber work boots.  He came back soaking wet even with all of his protective clothing.   They were leaving before they were demanded to do so.  That’s when I got the saddest command that made me feel helpless and weak. 
            “Get a few things together, we’ll find a place to go” my dad said.
            “Why can’t we stay? It isn’t that bad, we barely just lost power.  What’s going to happen to us?” I answered.
            “We have to leave before the storm gets too bad and we are trapped.”  I responded with silence, I didn’t know what to say.  I had never been evacuated; the weather had never been bad enough.  I didn’t know what to pack.  What could I not live without?  I looked around my room realizing that I might not ever see my room again.  I saw my bed, my pictures, and even my Jonas Brother’s poster.  I don’t think I ever truly appreciated all that I had, all that I was blessed with.  I had always had a home, my family close by, pretty much whatever I needed and most of what I wanted.  I was holding back tears as I packed, as I packed my memories away, or said goodbye to them for what could be forever.  I only had moments before I shut my bedroom door, put my rain boots on, and got in the car.  It was just in time as we later found out. 
We found refuge at my dad’s co-worker’s house but not before we passed bridges and roads closed, parking lots filled with water, and the roaring river as it came ever closer to wiping out the only street left in town.  It had never taken us this long to get to Shaftsbury; it was like rush hour in the city.  My dad even ran a red light on the way there; I suppose he was just as nervous as I was. 
            Mike Lilly however had power, little rain, and a police scanner which was tremendously helpful as it provided background noise to the overwhelming silence as well as much needed information.  He was upbeat about the weather and assured us that it wasn’t more than a few inches of rain. 
            “It isn’t too bad, would you say?  I think the rains last spring were more than this” Mike joked.  He was a jolly looking man, with a round belly and a white beard.  He could possibly play Santa Claus at the upcoming Christmas program.  He had been a firefighter and as it appeared could not be frightened.  It was there, at his house, that we waited out the storm.  We talked, we ate, and we watched T.V.  With my family around me I felt at home, I felt safe as if nothing could hurt us.  Just as the rains eventually ceased so did my worries. 
            We did get to go home later that night, and what a happy homecoming it was.  We were all glad to be back under our own roof.  Even better… there was no damage, not any at all.   
As we unpacked my dad asked, “So what did you think of the hurricane?”
My answer was confident, and unwavering, “I’m glad it’s over, but thankful it came.”


No comments:

Post a Comment